October 20, 2021
To our Residents, Patients and Family Members:
We are seeing a slight decrease in the Duval County positivity rate for the past couple weeks. We continue to test twice a week at Bartram Crossing and University Crossing as detailed below. We also continue to remain vigilant. Please continue to wear a mask, stay at least 6 feet apart, avoid crowds, and wash your hands often.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated nursing home guidance on visitation. With roughly 80% of residents and 55% of staff fully vaccinated, they have approved visitation unless nursing homes fall into these COVID-19 categories:
- County positivity rate is greater than 10% and less than 70% of residents vaccinated
- There are confirmed resident infections
- There are residents in quarantine
Visitation falls into 2 categories for all our locations:
- General Visitation
- Compassionate Visitation (A positive COVID-19 case is identified within the facility)
- Bartram Lakes and Green Houses are under general visitation. We will be limiting visitation to 2 visitors at a time at Bartram Lakes and Green Houses. There is no limit to the number of individuals that can visit, but no more than 2 visitors at one time per resident.
- Bartram Crossing and University Crossing are under compassionate visitation because they had a positive COVID-19 case in the last 14 days. We will be limiting visitation to 2 visitors but only one at a time can visit for one hour a day.
- Visitation can occur seven days a week from 8 am – 8 pm for those that meet the compassionate criteria.
- For after-hours visitation, call facility prior to arriving for procedures.
- Visitors must remain in the patient/resident’s room throughout the visit and wear a face mask at all times. If visitors are found without a mask, visiting privileges can be suspended and you will be required to leave.
- Facilitators will be responsible for limiting and monitoring the visitors in our building at all times to comply with safety and regulatory guidelines.
Testing frequency for Bartram Crossing and University Crossing is now determined by the county level of community transmission instead of county positivity rate. Level of community transmission refers to facility’s county level of COVID-19 transmission. This metric uses two indicators for categorization (1. Total number of new cases per 100,000 persons within the last 7 days and 2. Percentage of positive diagnostic and screening nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT) during the last 7 days), which can be found on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) COVID-19 Integrated County View site at https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view.
Based on the community transmission level we will be testing unvaccinated staff twice a week at Bartram Crossing and University Crossing. Our latest weekly COVID-19 positivity rate for Duval County from October 12 through October 18, 2021 is 4.24%. The governor’s order does not require weekly testing at assisted living facilities.
If you have any questions about vaccine distribution, please contact the Department of Health for more information. For a list of vaccination sites in Florida please visit the website below: https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/covid-19-vaccines-in-florida/
CMS is committed to continually taking critical steps to ensure America’s healthcare facilities continue to respond effectively to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). On May 11, 2021, CMS published an interim final rule. This rule establishes Long-Term Care (LTC) Facility Vaccine Immunization Requirements for Residents and Staff. This includes new requirements for educating residents or resident representatives and staff regarding the benefits and potential side effects associated with the COVID-19 vaccine, and offering the vaccine. Please open link below for our COVID-19 vaccine education letter: https://brooksrehab.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Education-for-families-and-residents-COVID-19-Vaccine-1.pdf
On Tuesday & Wednesday of this week, we offered COVID boosters to residents and staff who received the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine no later than April 20th. This booster vaccine was offered according to FDA & CDC guidelines. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine and the Moderna vaccines have not yet been approved for a booster shot, but we will plan to offer those as well once they have been approved. Additionally, we will be offering flu vaccines to our Bartram Lakes, Green House and LTC residents at Bartram Crossing & University Crossing according to CDC guidelines.
We also want to remind you that our weekly communications along with a schedule of our monthly activities and our menus are available on the Bartram Crossing, Bartram Lakes and University Crossing websites. We also encourage you to follow our social media channels for photos and information. Brooks Rehabilitation is on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. Bartram Lakes is also on Facebook.
Safety continues to be our number one priority. Please know that we are strictly adhering to all directions from the local and state health departments. If you have any additional questions, please contact Maria Interiano or Andy Andre directly.
We are committed to keeping your loved ones safe and keeping you informed.
Doug Baer, President and CEO
Trevor Paris, MD, Chief Medical Officer
Maria Interiano, VP Aging Services, Bartram Campus (904) 528-3020
Andy Andre, Administrator, University Crossing, (904) 345-8320